Tiggywinkles Wildlife Hospital is currently looking for weekend volunteers to help with animal husbandry for our busy spring / summer season.
Gain hands-on experience with animals and meet some amazing wildlife that you would never normally get the chance to see. Tiggywinkles treats over 10,000 British wild creatures every year, so there are always over 1,000 animals of a huge variety of species being cared for in our Hospital.
Volunteer placements are for one day per week (either Monday, Thursday, Saturday or Sunday), as a regular commitment from May to September. Working day is 9am to 2pm.
The main tasks are hands-on husbandry of the thousand-plus wild animals currently undergoing treatment and rehabilitation at our Hospital – which means that you will spend your day cleaning cages and enclosures, preparing and providing food, with some (minimal) handling of a variety of wild species.
• Previous animal husbandry experience is required
• Volunteers must be over 18 and able to work independently
• You must have current tetanus cover (check with your GP) and no known allergies to animals or animal foodstuffs
• You must be able to provide two employment-based referees, who are not friends or family
• Tasks are very physical, so be prepared for working inside or outside, whatever the weather
• You need to be able to offer one full day each week, on a regular commitment, for six months
• Dress code is jeans or thick trousers and a plain black top, with trainers or boots. Outdoor clothing must be dark coloured only.
• No jewellery and long hair must be tied back at all times
• All volunteers are required to undergo a criminal records check
• All volunteers are required to complete online safeguarding training
As a charity, Tiggywinkles cannot offer any financial support or help with expenses.
If you have a passion for helping wildlife, are available immediately, fit all of the above requirements and are happy to get your hands dirty, then please fill out an application form.